Partnership In Mission Update 2024
The Baptist churches, across our region, have been co-operating in partnership in mission together for well over 300 hundred years. Therefore, in 2024, to be formally launching Partnership in Mission as our primary mechanism for funding everything we do, consequently does seem a little late!
As one of our Webnet local church leaders you will share the fact we are passionate about partnering in the mission of God, joining in with His purposes in the West of England and beyond. We are already partners in the gospel, so adopting a name for our funding mechanism, which also describes something at the heart of what we are about makes absolute sense. If you’re new into your role in your local church you may not be fully aware of the decision made by Webnet churches to adopt Partnership in Mission. If you have missed something, you can locate the background papers to the proposal discussed and agreed 2022 & 2023 here:
Whilst a few people have expressed concerns we are in some way drawing back from our covenant relationship across BUGB, this is far from the reality. I’m pleased to say we’ve had a very positive response from the Support Services Team Leader for Baptists Together, Chris Jones. We’ve met together and are working on a plan, which we believe will achieve our aims.
Our Trustees have committed to underwrite, for 2024, our Webnet churches’ average net contribution to the Baptist family Common Purse over the last 5 years will be guaranteed, as ‘net income’ for BUGB, regardless of how Partnership in Mission performs. In addition to this, if Partnership in Mission outperforms the budgeted expectation, we are suggesting half the relevant surplus be passed onto the Common Purse and the other half used for mission grants in Webnet. However, we also are keenly aware our Trustees have agreed a much larger deficit budget, for 2024, which is unsustainable unless we see a significant increase in giving, across the board.
Our regular reminders:
- We rely on freewill giving from our churches to enable everything we do together as a network of Baptist Christians.
- If every church gives at least 5% of general income, we can look to a sustainable future.
- The easiest way to give is by setting up a monthly standing order to West of England Baptist Assocation sort code 40-52-40, account number 00006162 and use the reference: PIM + Church name. *
- It’s important that your fellowship understands what this giving is for. Contact theWebnet Hub to arrange for someone to talk about Partnership in Mission.
If you are unsure whether your local colleagues are fully aware (leadership team, finance team (or treasurer), or anyone else you think needs to know, please do forward this message, as well as asking them to subscribe to our regular monthly Webnet update.
* Please check in your own situation. Many of our churches have previously been sending HM contributions via the account held by BUGB at Didcot. To save unnecessary transfers throughout the year, it will be most helpful to ensure your church regular giving is sent directly to this account.